Sometimes I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, overwhelmed by a tornado of change. I want to stay in my bed, clinging to my mattress, while my house whirls high above the ground. But it’s a fact of life that change is the norm. Stasis is an illusion.
“There is nothing permanent except change.” Heraclitus
Many of us try to escape change. My country friends claim there is too much chaos in the city; they contend that nature is calming and tranquil. But I beg to differ. For a year, I drove to work to Fremont, Michigan past farms and barns, dodging trees that crashed to the ground in severe wind storms. In the winter, I drove home in wild snowstorms that humbled powerful trucks and SUVs and left them sprawled in ditches. Even the supposedly serene landscape changed on a daily basis. One day the corn stalks were just stubble in the fields, barely pushing through the dirt, and then almost overnight, they were several feet high, dwarfing the tractors.
Even the subtle shifts of light and shadow at sunset are driven by the huge engine of the earth, which is ever turning, ever spinning, and always evolving in an expanding universe.
I find comfort in the fact that physicists like Mitchell Feigenbaum of the Los Alamos National Laboratory say there is order even in chaos. The trick then is to find it! Like all humans, who crave order and stability, I find comfort in the constants. Some people find it in prayer, others in meditation, yoga, or music. I find it in the arts with pen or camera in hand. Or in the kitchen, stirring a pot of soup. Or, in the love of those who are dear to my heart. How do you find it?
For other interpretations of this week’s theme, click on:
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Change | de Wets Wild
- weekly photo challenge: change | A Meditative Journey with Saldage
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Change | beeblu blog
- Thoughts on Change: Let’s Go Places | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Looking down from the Castle | Bastet and Sekhmet
- WEEKLY PHOTO CHALLENGE: CHANGE | Francine In Retirement
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Change | Sweet as a Picture
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Change | Its In The Picture – 365
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Change – Stepping Out & Stepping Up | pics by peep
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Change | Lonely Travelog
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Change | Les Petits Pas de Juls
- weekly photo challenge: change | Musings of a Random Mind
- change | photo theme hop
- Love Nostalgia | Weekly Photo Challenge: Change
- Change before you have to | Detours by Deepali
- weekly photo challenge: change | bob’s wife
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Change / To Duskiness | Advocacine’s Blog
- Entering Shenzhen | GeoFoodie
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Change | Jinan Daily Photo