There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.
For me, photography is largely a matter of focus. Of the millions of images that flash across our line of sight every day, we select the person or thing to focus on, frame it, and capture it. Our focus determines whether our image is memorable or disposable. Equally important is focusing on the light, which is essential both in photography….and in life.
Here is one of my favorite shots taken on our last trip to Italy shot in St. Peter’s Square in Rome. This bowl of light and stunning architecture teams with people soaking up the power and grandeur of the Church at its epicenter. The light here was intense. It was difficult to focus on just one aspect of this immense place, so we shot a series of panoramas. This one shows the difference in light moving from east to west.
The same is true in the next panorama taken from the terrace of the Trump Hotel in Chicago by my son, Alex. You can see the shift in the light’s intensity from left to right. In both these panoramas, we’ve used a deeper depth of field to keep most of the scene in focus.
We both like experimenting with panoramas because they convey the majesty and immensity of a scene and allow the viewer to share a sweeping vista, rather than limiting or cropping our visual field.
In the next few weeks, I have a personal challenge which will require a great deal of focus and energy. I leave today for Boston and will start medical treatment for breast cancer. The diagnosis came out of the blue and set me spinning for the last few weeks. But we’ve sorted through the medical options and came up with a treatment plan and a surgeon who fills me with hope and confidence. And so, the journey begins! Through it, I am determined to focus on the positive–to look at healing as an opportunity to grow and gain wisdom. To begin this journey, I’ll quote the great writer and psychologist, Victor Frankel who said:
Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms – to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.
Viktor E. Frankl
I invite you to join me on this journey! Through it, I’ll be searching for the light as a source of healing, illumination and creative inspiration. As always, many thanks for your comments and encouragement.
To see great posts on this week’s theme, click on the links below:
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus | masadiso79’s Blog
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus on Drops | What’s (in) the picture?
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus | A Second of Life in Greece
- ALDO LEOPOLD, SQUARE PEGS IN ROUND HOLES, AND FINDING FOCUS | The Road Less Paved
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus | Life of a Minister Mom
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus | mothergrogan
- Flor danzante (Dancing flower) | Neva Samaki
- Musings of an eccentric mind
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus | Learning, Running, Creating
- weekly photo challenge: focus | A Meditative Journey with Saldage
- Focus- Trafalgar Square, Weekly Photo Challenge | The Rider
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus… on a Woodland Butterfly | An Upturned Soul
- the weekly Photo challenge | maxidiehexi
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus | Say It With A Camera
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus | Untold Contemplation
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus | Thrifty Finn
- Silent Sunday | Stray Thoughts
- Between the Rice Paddies, Cambodia | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus | Photography Journal Blog
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus | Shmamaland
- B.L.T.E. | yi-ching lin photography
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus | paintedwords
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus | weird & cool stuff seen while out & about
- Sometimes the focus is not so clear…. | Life through a Lens
- Focus on the Details – Longwood Gardens | Momdeavor
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus | Day One
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus | Southern Sea Muse
- Adjusting the focus just a little. . . | See Diving
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Flowers in Focus (chrisbreebaart.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus (yobynos.wordpress.com)
- Weekly photo challenge: FOCUS (katjusablog.com)
- Focus / weekly photo challenge (parislux.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus (thetemenosjournal.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus (brouhaha-access.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus (unexpectedincommonhours.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus (lifeofaministermom.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Focus (mylittleriojournal.wordpress.com)