Joy is not in things; it is in us.
At times, joy is hard to find. Perhaps you are sunk in a well of sadness and wonder if you will ever see light again. Perhaps you are in pain and you are not certain when it will end. Perhaps you have lost a loved one. Perhaps you are battling an illness or a reversal of fortune. Perhaps you are alone and wish you could find someone with a kind and loving heart.
In these moments, it’s easy to believe that happiness is light years away. It’s also tempting to look for happiness “out there”–as if it could walk through our door with a bouquet of flowers in hand, sweep us up in its arms and reassure us that everything will be all right. But, in fact, it is closer than we think. In fact, it is right here, inside of us.
For the past week, I’ve been laid low by some health issues and I’ve been reading Jon Kabat-Zinn’s book Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness. It is the best book I’ve read so far on how to find that island of calm and happiness within ourselves even when we are in turmoil. In it, he gives a step-by-step guide to find this place. It may be difficult to find at first, but over time, we will learn the way. Once there, we can experience more and more soul-stirring moments of joy.
Find a place inside where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.
This is what I wish for you in the new year! Joy for you and your loved ones in 2014.
For other interpretations of this week’s theme, click on the links below:
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Joy (francineinretirement.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Joy (a series) (irenewaters19.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Joy (2far2shout.wordpress.com)
- WEEKLY PHOTO CHALLENGE: JOY – A MOMENT – By Garry Armstrong (teepee12.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Joy | Shots and captures
- Pastry For A Joyful Event: Italian Christmas Cake Panettone! | Stai Al Borgo
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Joy | Ruth E Hendricks Photography
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Joy | Chelle’s Room
- Another Image Of Joy | Not the Family Business!
- Weekly Photo Challenge-Joy | WoollyMuses
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Joy | Foto de Moto
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Joy | Say It With A Camera
- WPC: Joy | blueberriejournal
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Joy | The Pig That Wants To Be Eaten
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Joy | photoblog Jeroen de Haan
- Surprising Joy | breathofgreenair
- Wishing you a joyous 2014 | Kan Walk Will Travel
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Joy | ada cerita apa hari ini?
- The special floodlit Towers : JOY | Summerfield84’s English blog
- My Year in Photos – 2013 | TRAVEL WORDS
- Joyride out in the suburbs | Le Drake Noir
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Joy | 2far2shout