For me, the word “abandoned” contains both an element of sadness and as well as hope. Why? How can that be? Let’s take a look at the next 3 photos.
I took this first shot of an abandoned farmhouse when we lived New Hampshire. Nearly every day for seven years, we passed this house on our walks. Even in that short time, the house became more and more dilapidated, its pink paint chipping and fading.
This poem by Ted Kooser sums up how I felt about it.
By Ted KooserSomething went wrong, says the empty housein the weed-choked yard. Stones in the fieldssay he was not a farmer; the still-sealed jarsin the cellar say she left in a nervous haste.And the child? Its toys are strewn in the yardlike branches after a storm–a rubber cow,a rusty tractor with a broken plow,a doll in overalls. Something went wrong, they say.
Alex also took the third shot of a rundown neighborhood outside of Savannah, Georgia. At first glance, the photo reveals the area’s bleakness and devastation. Grim street battles surely took place here. But, taking a closer look, I also see hope in the graffiti, which reveals the talent and power of the artists. Even the words, “Thy kingdom shall fall,” contain the promise of another era (here or in heaven), which will bring greater fairness, prosperity, and happiness to a new generation.
Is “abandoned” a sad word for you? Or, do you see hope in it as well?
To see other interpretations of this week’s theme, click on the links below. And enjoy!
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Abandoned | Finale to an Entrance
- Anatomy of an Image | Exploratorius
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Abandoned (III) | Uncle Spike’s Adventures
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Abandoned | Photoblog
- Focus, Sunday’s Serendipity Quest | Maine Forest Cafe
- Again | In So Many Words
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Abandoned | mynuttydubai
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Abandoned | Charles Ray’s Ramblings
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Abandoned | Write for learning
- Weekly Photo Challenge -Abandoned | Travels and Trifles
- Abandoned & Ancient | Solitary Spinster
- Weekly Photo Challenge-Abandoned | WoollyMuses
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Abandoned | Let There be Peace on Earth
- Abandoned – The kind that makes your eyes glimmer | An Upturned Soul
- Abandoned 61/365 | @vannilla
- Abandoned | Sunday Views
- Weekly photo challenge: Abandoned | Mochilis Reloaded